MEMORIALS TO FOUNDATION BIOGRAPHIES
PEG BALDWIN-MCVITTY MEMORIAL
Peggy Baldwin McVitty was born in Fairfield, Alabama. She married Mondo Baldwin on April 1, 1944 while he was serving in the US Air Force. Shortly thereafter they moved to Kenton where she lived until 1994. Peg was active in Scouting as she and Mondo had two sons, Wayne and Michael who were Eagle Scouts. She was the first woman in the area to receive Scouting’s Silver Fawn award for service to Scouting. She was active in Laureate Beta Mu Chapter of Beta Sigma Phi where she had held every office in the local chapter and in 1989 received the Reverned International Award of Distinction. She was a member of the Kenton Garden Club having held all offices and served as past director of Region Two of the Ohio Association of Garden Clubs. She was past president of the Hardin County Council on Aging Board of Trustees. She was the recipient of the Hardin County Senior Citizen Award in 1997. She was a member of the Keep Hardin County Beautiful Commission and had written articles for the Commission’s Tricycle. She was a member of the Hardin County Ambassadors. She was a member of the First United Methodist Church in Kenton where she was active in the United Methodist Women and had served as the first woman chairperson of the Administrative Council. She was a Sunday School teacher for 48 years and a charter member of the Chancel Bell Choir. Mondo died in 1992 and in 1994 she married James McVitty and moved to the Forest area. She became active in the Forest United Methodist Church and served on the Forest Jackson Library Building Committee. She died March 16, 2002.
Elinor Nash Barrett and Oliver Wagner Barrett
ELINOR NASH BARRETT AND OLIVER WAGNER BARRETT
Both families have lived in Hardin County since the late 1800's. Oliver (Ollie) Barrett (1925 - 2004) was born to Margaret Wagner Barrett and Ray Barrett, and graduated from Kenton Senior High in 1943, and immediately entered the army where he served until 1945, being awarded the Purple Heart and Silver Star. For many years he was associated with Western and Southern Life Insurance Company, until he joined North American Rockwell, ending his career as Director of Personnel. Activities included sports of all kinds, the Masonic and Elks Lodges, and the First United Methodist Church. He died in 2004. Elinor Nash Barrett born 1927 to Irma Hamilton Nash and William Nelson Nash, also graduated from Kenton Senior High School in 1945 and attended Bowling Green State University. Activities included the choir of the First United Methodist Church, in which she sang for over 40 years, Eastern Star, and Minerva Club. Elinor passed away in 2018. The couple was married on February 23rd, 1947 and had two sons, Stephen and Scott, and three grandchildren.
Parl W. and Eunice I. Beck
PARL W. AND EUNICE I. BECK
DESIGNATED TO HARDIN HILLS HEALTH CENTER
Mr. and Mrs. Beck were long time residents of the City of Kenton and owned a farm in Pleasant township. Mr. Beck was primarily self employed and was the owner and operator of a garage and lawn mower repair shop in Kenton. Mrs. Beck worked many years at the Woolworth Store and at the Farmers Livestock Barn in Kenton. Both Mr. and Mrs. Beck were long time members of the Walnut Grove Church in Pleasant Township. Parl Beck died January 23, 1998 and Eunice Beck died January 30, 2006. Mrs. Beck, who spent her last few years at the Hardin Hills Health Center, was interested in benefiting the home and residents therein.
Frank & Ruth Berlien
FRANK & RUTH BERLIEN
Frank Berlien was born to a pioneer family of Hardin County who believed in public service to their community and their country, as his grandfather, Peter, served his country in the Civil War and his father, George, was Hardin County Sheriff. Frank and Ruth Berlien were married in 1937 and were a couple very dedicated to their community. During their 54 year marriage, the Berliens participated in many charitable activities with groups that included the First Methodist Church, the Masonic Brethren and the Gideon Ministry. Frank, the President of the Huntington First National Bank of Kenton, was also city councilman for a number of years. Upon retirement from Huntington, he became very active with the Gideon Ministry and with Masonic work. While serving a number of years as church treasurer, Frank was the author of several articles on the long, rich history of the church. Ruth, born near Alliance, Ohio, worked 12 years for the Ohio Department of Agriculture in Columbus. She served as church secretary in the 1940's and was a member of the United Methodist Women and Sarah Circle. During World War II, Ruth was the executive secretary for the Hardin County Red Cross.
The Bernard Family Fund
THE BERNARD FAMILY FUND
DESIGNATED TO EDUCATION & MUSIC PROGRAMS &
MARY LOU JOHNSON LIBRARY
This fund was established in 2002 by Leo J. "Barney" Bernard in memory of his wife, Elizabeth "Betty" Fox Bernard and their son, Michael E. Bernard. It was created to enhance music programs in the Kenton City Schools which the Board of Education is otherwise unable to fund and to support the Mary Lou Johnson/Hardin County District Library in such amounts as the Foundation trustees determine.
Bernard is a name long associated with business and civic activities in Hardin County. Leo Bernard owned and operated the Bernard Furniture Store in Kenton from 1956 to 1974. He was a member of the Board of Directors of the former Kenton National Bank, Wilco Corporation and San Antonio Hospital. He was a member of the American Legion and the Elks and held leadership positions with the Chamber of Commerce, American Heart Association and the Knights of Columbus. Born in 1914, Leo, known as "Barney", graduated from Kenton High School in 1932. He served in World War II, as did his brothers, Jerome and LeRoy. LeRoy was the first Kentonite killed in the War. Until his death in February of 2005, Barney's lifelong love of golf and the pursuit of family history continued to occupy him as well as attending services at Immaculate Conception Church.
On June 2, 1941, Barney married Elizabeth "Betty" Fox, the daughter of Dr. D.C. and Katharine McArthur Fox. Kate Fox was a descendant of Donald McArthur who, with his son, Peter, was the first non-native American settler in Hardin County. Dr. Fox was a country doctor, farmer and businessman. Betty graduated from Kenton High School in 1932 and from the Ohio State University in 1936. She was active in church, charitable and cultural activities, including the San Antonio Hospital Guild, Catholic Ladies of Columbia, University Women's Club, Music Club, Fortnightly Literary Club, and was a lifelong member of the Immaculate Conception Church. Betty passed away in June 2000.
Mike was born in Kenton in 1946, graduating from Kenton High School in 1964. After earning a bachelor's degree from the University of Notre Dame in 1968, he served in the U.S. Army. Mike graduated from the Ohio State University College of Law and practiced in Kenton and Columbus. He was twice elected Hardin County Prosecutor and served this community with pride. Mike passed away in 1995. Betty and Barney were the parents of five children, Daniel Fox Bernard, Michael Eugene Bernard, Mary Katharine Franzel, Marie Eleanor Sprang, and Anne Elizabeth Keller.
Daniel F. Bernard graduated from Kenton High School in 1960, Iowa State University in 1964 and earned his law degree from Duke University. After serving in the U.S. Navy JAG Corps, he began the practice of law in Colorado where he made his home. Highly respected in the legal and civic communities of Longmont, CO, Dan died on August 3, 2011 and is survived by his wife of 43 years, Dale, their two children and six grandchildren.
Frank & Betty Bondi
FRANK & BETTY BONDI
DESIGNATED TO FIRST BAPTIST CHURCH BUILDING FUND
Victor & Virginia Colmey
Victor & Virginia Colmey
Designated to Children & Education
Mr. and Mrs. Colmey were long time residents and farm owners in Blanchard Township. Mr. Colmey was a professional engineer having graduated from the University of Indiana in 1935 and traveled world wide primarily overseeing bridge construction, including one project in the Soviet Union. Mrs. Colmey was a nurse and also traveled extensively in her hobby of breeding, selling and showing of English Bulldogs. Although not having any children, the Colmeys always maintained an interest in young people and their education.
Frank & Ruth Cook
Frank & Ruth Cook
Frank N. Cook was born September 27, 1910 in Kenton. He graduated from Kenton High School in 1928. He married Ruth E. Barrett who was born February 16, 1914 in Goshen Township. She graduated from Kenton High School in 1932. They were married October 16, 1932.
He worked as a mechanic and for Ohio Power before serving in the Navy from 1943 through 1946. Upon discharge from the Navy he started Cook’s Garage and continued with that until 1964, when he became a Nationwide Insurance Agent.
He served on the Kenton City Council for several years and was Mayor of Kenton from 1965 thru 1975. He also served as secretary of Grove Cemetery from 1960 through 1975.
Ruth was a bookkeeper for Cook’s Garage and Nationwide business. Upon their retirement in 1975, they moved to Cessna Township where Frank enjoyed farming, his boxer dog and his horses. Ruth continued her enjoyment of raising beautiful roses and country life.
James and Carole Crates
Born in McComb, Ohio, Jim spent most of his life in Kenton. After graduating from Kenton High School in 1958, Jim received a Bachelor of Arts degree from Ohio Northern University in 1962 followed by receipt of a Juris Doctorate degree from the ONU Petit College of Law in 1965.
Carole (Lingrel) was born in Kenton and graduated from Kenton High School in 1961. She received a Bachelor of Science degree in education from Bowling Green State University in 1965.
Jim and Carole married in 1965 and soon after Jim entered service in the Army as an officer with the Judge Advocate General’s Corps from 1966 – 1970. This time with the JAG Corps provided the couple with new adventures as they found themselves stationed in Seoul, South Korea and in Washington, D.C. In 1968, Jim became the only attorney from Hardin County to be admitted to practice before the U.S. Supreme Court. After these few years away, Jim and Carole made the decision to return to their hometown to raise their children, Ashley and Britton.
Upon return to Kenton, Jim joined the law practice of Paul McKinley, Sr. and was soon elected to serve as the Hardin County Prosecutor from 1972 – 1976. Until his passing in 2011, Jim continued to practice law with Paul McKinley, Jr. He had a long and well-respected legal career and never lost his love of the law.
Jim and Carole both believed in giving back to the community where they were raised. Consequently, they joined and held leadership positions in many local organizations.
Jim served on the boards of the ONU College of Arts & Sciences, Mount Victory State Bank, and the Veterans Memorial Park District. He served as Chairman of the Hardin County Board of Elections and as a Pleasant Township Committeeman. His other memberships included: Hardin County Bar Association, Hardin County Republican Party, Kenton Elks Lodge (past Exalted Ruler), Indian Lake Moose Lodge, Lions Club, Latham Masonic Lodge, Aladdin Shrine Club, Hardin County Shrine Club, American Legion Post 198, Amvets Post 20, and a 35 year member of Wolf Creek Grange.
Carole has served on the boards of the Mary Lou Johnson Hardin County Library, Kenton’s Excellence for Education Foundation, Kenton YMCA, and the Community Concert Association. Her memberships continue in the Fortnightly Literary Club, University Club, and the Hardin County Astronomy Club. Carole would like to encourage other local families to find time to give back to their beloved community.
Dr. J.C. & Gretchen Curtis
Dr. J.C. & Gretchen Curtis
Jesse C. Curtis, Jr. was born and raised in Hardin County. He graduated from Kenton High School and from Ohio State University in 1943 with a BS in Agricultural Economics. He served in World War II as a captain in Field Artillery. In 1950, he graduated from OSU with a doctorate in Veterinary Medicine. He returned to his home community and served as a veterinarian for 21 years with his animal hospital on East Columbus Street. Dr. Curtis then sold his practice, becoming President/CEO of Home Savings and Loan. He retired after another 21 years, having had two successful careers in his lifetime. He served as director emeritus for Home Savings. Being active in the community, he served as scoutmaster of Troop #150 of the First United Methodist Church. Dr. Curtis served as Ward 2 councilman for several terms, was past president and treasurer of the Kenton Rotary Club. He was a a longtime director of the Hardin County AAA serving as president and treasurer.
Gretchen Ashba Curtis was born in Hardin County, but grew up in Toledo, Ohio. She graduated from Toledo Hospital School of Nursing in1943. She was nurse manager of the Obstetrical Department at Ohio State University. Gretchen and J.C. Curtis were married January 23,1944. After their return to Kenton, Mrs. Curtis was active in the daily operation of the Curtis Animal Hospital. Later, she became nurse manager of the Medical Unit of Hardin Memorial Hospital where she served 7 years. Mrs. Curtis was also active in the community, serving the Red Cross in nurse recruitment for10 years. She also worked with girl and boy scouts. She served the First United Methodist Church as president of the United Methodist Women, program chairman and circle leader.
A memorial was also established to honor the Curtis children
Children of Dr. J.C. Curtis, Jr. and Gretchen Ashba Curtis
Thomas Bruce Eddy
THOMAS BRUCE EDDY
Bruce Eddy, was born in Kenton, Ohio to James D. Eddy and Betty (Moore) Eddy Schroeder. He graduated from Kenton Senior High School, and worked at various Kenton businesses throughout his lifetime, retiring from the Hardin County Engineer’s Department. A US Army veteran, he served in the Vietnam War. Bruce was a Veterans Service Commissioner, member of VFW Post 3333 where he was a past judge advocate, Sr. Vice, a Trustee, and a Commander Pro Temp twice. He was a member of the Vietnam Veterans of America, a life member of Amvets, American Legion, and the Kenton Moose Lodge. Bruce will always be remembered for his dry sense of humor, his love of history, and his devotion to military and community service. The foundation thanks Bruce’s family and the VFW Post for their donation to honor the memory of their loved one and comrade in arms.
The Clay and Roberta Flinn Family Fund
Gerald Clay Flinn and Roberta Ann Nash were married on Valentine’s Day in 1960. Clay and Roberta were both born and raised in Kenton, Ohio, Clay was born on January 20th, 1935 and Roberta was born on January 12, 1937. Clay and Roberta graduated from Kenton High School, Clay in 1953 and Roberta in 1955 and continued their education with Clay attending Ohio State University graduating in 1959 with a degree in Civil Engineering and Surveying and Roberta graduating from Miami Valley Hospital School of Nursing in 1958. Clay served his country as a member of the National Guard from 1959 to 1965. They were proud parents of 3 children, Amy Jo Okuly, Brian Clay Flinn and the Rev. Douglas Robert Flinn.
During Clay’s time at Ohio State, he worked summers for the Hardin County Engineers Office and later would work for the Engineers Office from January of 1960 through March of 1991, serving as the County Engineer for the last 10 years. Aside from working at the Engineers Office, Clay was a Registered Surveyor and managed his own business from 1965 until 1981. He also worked at Golden Giant Building Systems in the late 1960’s and again in the early 1990’s. Clay continued his commitment to community service by serving as the Mayor of Kenton from 1991 until the time of his death in 1999. He enjoyed being a member of the Hardin County Posse, Professional Engineering Association, First United Methodist Church, Elks, Rotary and the Masonic Lodge. He was posthumously inducted into the Hardin County Hall of Fame in 1999. Many remember him doing acrobatic tricks in his airplane and flying was a hobby he enjoyed for many years.
Roberta worked almost her entire career at Hardin Memorial Hospital in Kenton until she retired in 1992. Roberta is a 70 year member of the First United Methodist Church, 60 year member of Elizabeth Circle and Choir for 46 years. She also is a 60 plus year member of Eastern Star, Lambda CCL, Minerva Club, Kenton Garden Club, Hospital Guild, Keep Hardin County Beautiful and the Tree Commission. Roberta was awarded the Hardin County Citizen of the Year Award in 2005.
The Clay and Roberta Flinn Family Fund is dedicated to the City of Kenton and/or Historic Courthouse District for improvement projects, revitalization projects, beautification initiatives and/or downtown community events.
Charles & Esta Mae Moots Fogle and Ted & Mary Fogle
CHARLES & ESTA MAE MOOTS FOGLE
TED C. & MARY J. FOGLE
Mr. and Mrs. Charles Fogle were farmers. They owned and lived on a farm in Blanchard Township near Bridgeport.
Mr. Ted Fogle was the son of Mr. and Mrs. Charles Fogle. He was a graduate of Oberlin College and he and his wife Mary J. owned and operated the A.E. Roby Office Supply and Printing Company in Kenton for many years.
Marilyn Elliott Green was born in Zanesfield, Logan County, Ohio, where she grew up on her family farm. Marilyn also was involved in school agricultural activities and a cheer leader for the East Liberty Jay Hawks High School where she was a 1952 graduate and later took computer training from Apollo Career Center. Marilyn married in 1954 and later moved to Ada, Ohio, where they built the Ada Dairy Queen, Marilyn later worked as a legal secretary for Charles VanDyne, an Attorney at Law in Ada, a position which she held for over 50 years. Marilyn was a member and past president of the Ada Kiwanis Club and a member of the Kenton Elks Lodge #157. She was also a member of the Ada Christmas decorations committee and the Harvest and Herb Festival Committee. Marilyn formally attended the Ada First United Methodist Church. Marilyn was a gracious, lovely lady, always ready to extend a helping hand to anyone in need. Marilyn had a great passion for cooking and baking wonderful foods and desserts and it brought her great joy and pleasure in sharing them with her friends and neighbors. She will always be remembered as a generous and caring friend and as a loving and devoted mother to her sons Gregory and Kent.
Ronald Owen Hare
RONALD OWEN HARE
William D. & Krista S. Hart
William D. & Krista S. Hart
William Douglas Hart was born the youngest child of Russell Hart, Jr. and Mae Louise (Eberhart) Hart on October 25, 1949. Russell was a decorated veteran of WWII and worked as a police officer, a fireman and as a foreman at Kenton Structural and Ornamental Iron. Mae worked various jobs outside the home such as North Electric and Essex Wire. They were also the parents of Charles R. Hart and Danny Lee Hart, both of whom are deceased, and Sherry L. Lewis.
Krista S. (Holtzberger) Hart was born the oldest child of Lewis and Rosella (Susie) Holtzberger on January 19, 1957. Lewis and Susie also are the parents of Jennifer Tynan, Timothy Holtzberger and Thomas Holtzberger. Lewis farmed and drove school bus during his work life, while Susie was a home maker and worked in a school cafeteria.
William (Bill) D. Hart graduated from Kenton Senior High School in 1967 and then graduated from Clark Technical School in 1969. After serving in the US Army from 1970 to 1973, Bill graduated from The Ohio State University in 1976. Bill then graduated from Pettit College of Law at Ohio Northern University in 1980.
On May 16, 1981, Bill and Krista were married in Kenton. They are the parents of Andrew L. Hart and Emily M. Roy. Andrew and wife Amanda in 2016 gave birth to Harrison Douglas Hart.
Krista, while working full time outside the home, attended and graduated from The Ohio State University, Fisher College of Business with honors. She obtained her CPA certification and opened her own accounting office. Later she worked for various governmental agencies from which she retired. Krista enjoyed time with her children and grandson, golf, knitting, reading and of course, Mahjong.
Bill started the private practice of law in November 1980 in practice with James L. Crates and Paul N. McKiney, Jr. During that time, he also served as an assistant city law director, an assistant county prosecutor, and child support enforcement attorney. In 1991 Bill opened his solo practice law firm and also was appointed Judge of the Hardin County Municipal Court, a part time position. For a period of 14 years Bill served on the municipal court bench, until his election in 2004 to the Hardin County Common Pleas Court. He served in that position until his retirement on December 31, 2012. After retirement Bill served as a Director of the Wyandot Mutual Insurance Company for a few years.
Bill believed that giving back to the community was very important and therefore he gave freely of his time. His professional life led him to be involved in many community organizations such as: Hardin Memorial Hospital for ten years and serving as President for a year; Hardincare, Inc. board and President; Kenton Rotary Club; Hardin County Chapter American Heart Association; Hardin County Chapter American Cancer Society; Dollars for Scholars; Kenton Elks Lodge; Kenton Moose Lodge; Treasurer of Memorial Park Golf Club and Hardin County Sesquicentennial Committee. Professionally Bill was active in the Hardin County Bar Association; Ohio State Bar Association; Ohio Judicial Conference; Ohio Common Pleas Judges Association; and the Ohio Association of Municipal/County Court Judges. In his spare time Bill was a little league baseball, softball and soccer coach and was an assistant golf coach for his daughter’s high school team.
Bill’s greatest passion was always his involvement in the Hardin County Community Foundation. From being asked to help prepare the legal work to form the Foundation to serving as Vice President and then for 10 years as President Bill worked diligently to see that the Foundation succeeded. During his 28 years of serving on the Board, Bill never considered the work as a burden but rather was a privilege to be able to help Hardin County become a more vibrant and caring community.
Oren & Mare Alberta Hogan
OREN & MARY ALBERTA HOGAN
Albert & June Horn
ALBERT & JUNE HORN
Thomas G. & Helen (Steiner) Jester
THOMAS G. & HELEN (STEINER) JESTER
Thomas and Helen Jester were born and raised in Hardin County. Thomas was first a farmer and then turned to the landscape business where he spent almost 50 years. Helen was a homemaker and very interested in flowers and was a long time member of the Kenton Garden Club. She was also active in D.A.R. and both were lifelong members of the First United Methodist Church.
John & Ruby Jester
JOHN & RUBY JESTER
Jerry D. Jester
JERRY D. JESTER SCHOLARSHIP
1939 - 1966
Jerry was born and raised in Kenton. He graduated from Kenton Senior High School where he was a member of the track team. Jerry graduated from Bowling Green State University in 1961 with a B.A. Degree in Geology. After a year he enlisted in the Air Force and was assigned to the Operations Section as a Cartographic Officer with the Alaskan Air Command in Anchorage, Alaska. Cancer cut his career short in 1966.
Keith & Laura Kinnear
KEITH & LAURA KINNEAR
Keith Kinnear was born in 1945 in Kenton, Ohio. He graduated from Kenton High School in 1963 and received a degree in business administration from Ohio University in 1967. He married Laura Tighe of Ada, Ohio. Laura earned a degree from Ohio University and served the schools of Hardin County as a speech-language pathologist throughout her career. They had two sons, Jason and Andrew. Keith was a veteran of the United States Marine Corps, earning his “Wings of Gold” as a Naval Aviator in 1970. Flying, either for business or personal reasons, would prove to be a lifelong passion. As a business professional, Keith spent much of his career in the manufacturing industry. He enjoyed extended periods with several local businesses including Imperial Cup Corporation and Inno Plas Corporation. Building and growing businesses through the development of people was always a focus. He valued listening, asking the right questions and being available whenever needed. His dedication to Hardin County stemmed from a sense of community with its residents. Though several assignments caused him to move from the area, he always made his way back to Kenton...a place he loved to call “home”. Keith was committed to serving his community. He was a lifelong member of First United Methodist Church and Elks Lodge #157. Throughout his lifetime, he served on a number of boards, among these were Liberty National Bank, the Hardin County YMCA, the Hardin County Airport Authority and the Hardin County Board of MRDD. Keith became a Community Foundation Board Trustee in 2007. At the time of his death in 2014, friends and family honored his service by providing this memorial fund to the organization.
Kirk & Helen Kirkland
KIRK & HELEN KIRKLAND
DESIGNATED MEMORIAL FOR RECREATION
Helen Eleanor Kurt was born September 1, 1912 to parents living on a farm in Pleasant Township. She attended Dunkirk schools until her parents built a home in Kenton. She then attended Kenton Grammar School and graduated in 1930 from Kenton High School where she was an honor student. After graduation, Helen enrolled at Findlay College where she completed the secretarial course of study in 1931. After college, Helen worked at Champion Equipment Co., later known as Phillips and Davis Co. She retired in 1939 due to health problems. She was a lifelong, faithful member of St. Johns United Church of Christ, being baptized there in 1914. Helen was known as the lady who drove a 1951 Packard automobile into the late1900's. She remembered a number of charitable organizations in her will.
1888 - 1976
SCHOLARSHIP TRUST FUND
Catherine Lens taught in the Kenton City Schools for many years. She taught Latin and French and established the First French Club at Kenton High School in 1923. Catherine was a graduate of Miami University and studied special courses at The Ohio State University, the University of Wisconsin and the University of Chicago. Catherine’s scholarship trust was established to help students achieve the ideals that higher education was something to strive for in life. A principal that she held dear to her heart.
Maxine & John f. Lichty
MAXINE AND JOHN F. LICHTY
DESIGNATED TO HARDIN MEMORIAL HOSPITAL
Carl R. Lotz
Carl R. Lotz was born August 24, 1927 in Hardin County to Henry and Mary (Willeke) Lotz. He graduated from Kenton High School in 1946. He was married to Kathryn Young who passed away September, 1988. He was a member of St. John's United Church of Christ, Latham Masonic Lodge No 154 and a 32nd degree Mason. He was also a member of the Hardin County Shrine Club, Kenton Lions Club, Kenton Elks Lodge No 157, Hardin County Farm Bureau and Kenton Moose Lodge No 428. Carl was a veteran of the U.S. Army. He was a farmer and Pleasant Township Trustee. He represented Pleasant Township on the BKP board of trustees and Grove Cemetery board.
DeWayne & Virginia Ramge
DeWAYNE "BUD" RAMGE & VIRGINIA "JANE" RAMGE
Robert G Reed Jr
ROBERT G. REED, JR.
Isabelle Rexin was born July 12, 1907 in Hardin County to Howard and Della (Burdett) Huey. On August 28, 1933 she married Henry R. Rexin, who proceeded her in death February 1979. The Rexins had a daughter, Mary Lou Knapp.
The Rexin's owned and operated Rexin's Furniture and Appliances in Kenton. Isabelle was a 1925 graduate of Kenton High School. She was a member of St. John's United Church of Christ and served on the Women's Guild and Naomi Circle at the church. She also was a member of the Culture Club and Alpha Honor Circle.
1914 - 1996
Ned Richards was a life-long resident of Kenton. He graduated from Kenton High School in 1932 and worked at the F.W. Woolworth store. He then owned and operated the “Corn Crib” at the corner of Detroit and Franklin Streets for many years before joining R.E. Allen Wholesale as a manager for over 25 years.
E. Stuart & Winifred Rogers
E. STUART & WINIFRED ROGERS
DESIGNATED TO YMCA
Rushsylvania Rough Riders
The Rushsylvania Rough Riders began in the 1950's as a family friendly horse club that held horse shows in the Logan County area. In 1962, the club purchased land outside of Rushsylvania and continued to have horse shows with various classes that could be entered by anyone interested in showing their horse. As the years passed and the horse industry began to specialize, the club began to produce only timed event shows.
The Rushsylvania Rough Riders members have always felt it was important to support the youth in the area. It is with this mindset that the club decided to give two scholarships each year to Ridgemont Schools and Benjamin Logan Schools.
Charles H. Schanafelt Trust
CHARLES H. SCHANAFELT TRUST
Russel Schwemer & Willis Schwemer
RUSSEL SCHWEMER & WILLIS SCHWEMER
Helen A. Slack
HELEN A. SLACK
Bernard & Opal Sponsler
BERNARD & OPAL SPONSLER
Don W. & Barbara J. Spath
DON W. AND BARBARA J. SPATH
DESIGNATED TO GRADUATES OF UPPER SCIOTO VALLEY
Don was born in Alger, Hardin County in 1937. All younger years were spent in and around Foraker, McGuffey and Kenton. He graduated from McGuffey High School in 1955. In 1956 he married Barbara J. Glett of Jackson Center and moved to the Indian Lake area. In 1962, Don took control of Fire Safety Services, Inc. In 2002, he retired to spend time on the family farms in Logan and Shelby counties. Barbara was born in 1937 in Logan County and spent her younger years in and around Jackson Center. She graduated in 1955. Don and Barbara raised two sons, Steve and Scott. They also have three grandchildren.
JOHN B. STAMBAUGH 1856 - 1942
John B. Stambaugh arrived in Hardin County in 1888 and after many difficult years won the struggle to establish a successful farm on the Scioto Marsh. He later became a Hardin County Commissioner, then State Representative for the area as well as the chairman of the building committee to erect the County Courthouse.
JENNINGS M. STAMBAUGH 1896 - 1982
Jennings, after serving in WWI, returned to Hardin County to manage the Stambaugh Farms. Unlike his father, Jennings shunned the political spotlight. His family and the farm were his loves, while he quietly supported many local projects and people. Both his sons elected to return to Hardin County after serving several years overseas in WWII.
JOHN J. STAMBAUGH 1919 - 1988
John, a graduate of Ohio University, managed the Stambaugh Farms from then until his death. He was a "man of the land" and it was with great pride and joy that he was able to enlarge and modernize. A loving family man, he demanded anonymity for the many charities he supported.
RICHARD E. (DICK) STAMBAUGH 1920 - 2010
Dick, a graduate of Pratte Institute in Interior Design, also came home to Hardin County. He established a furniture factory in an unneeded onion storage in McGuffey where he first made custom solid wood tables, then furniture systems tables specified by architects. His tables can be found in many public buildings throughout the United States.
Ray Thompson & Mary Harris Thompson
RAY AND MARY HARRIS THOMPSON
Ray Thompson (4/22/1919 - 1/30/2004) and Mary Harris Thompson (3/9/1920 - 11/13/2002). Ray married Mary Harris in 1941. Both were born and lived their lives in Kenton, OH where they raised their family.
Ray graduated from KHS; attended Ohio State on a football scholarship; served in the US Army in WWII and fought in the European Theater. After VE day, his unit was sent to the Pacific as part of the force scheduled to invade Japan.
Ray served the Kenton City government over five different decades. His public service started in 1954 when he was appointed as First Ward Councilman and then won 2 subsequent elections leaving office in 1959. He returned as Council President for 3 -two year terms beginning in 1964. In 1975, he was appointed as At-Large Councilman and was elected for 2 more terms. He was elected as Mayor for 2 terms from 1984 – 1991. During the 1960’s, his tenure included building a new water treatment plant and in the 1980’s a new fire station and municipal building. In 1975, Ray was instrumental in starting the Kenton Rescue Squad (now known as BKP) and was one of the first to take the 400 hour medical training course to provide help on emergency runs.
Ray worked as a jeweler and watch repairman at Kraus Jewelers and retired at Rockwell International in Kenton.
Ray was very active in Kenton and Hardin County politics plus many civic and charitable organizations including Masonic Temple, Elks, and VFW.
Mary, as a housewife, loved to sew, crochet/handcrafts, and bake. She prepared and delivered meals to elderly in their neighborhood and supported Ray in his various community duties and civic activities. She was employed and retired from the Kenton Times.
They were members of the Epworth Methodist Church. Their work in the Church and the community was important to both of them as they always tried to improve life in Kenton.
Ray and Mary had 3 children, Sharae T. Bell (born in 1943), Connie T. Fruehan(born in 1947), and Ray Jr (Sept 1956 to Oct 1979).
Ray is a direct lineal descendent of James A. Thompson, a Patriot of the American Revolution. From 1700, each of his male ancestors served in the US military. Ray and Mary’s daughters, Sharae T. Bell and Connie T. Fruehan are members of the Daughters of the American Revolution.
In 2018, the Alan and Connie (Thompson) Fruehan Endowment was established in memory of her parents to support Kenton and Hardin County civic organizations most meaningful to Ray and Mary in such amounts as the Foundation Trustees determine.
Okey & Ethel VanDyne
OKEY AND ETHEL VANDYNE
DESIGNATED TO COURTHOUSE GROUNDS
William & Mary Wentz
WILLIAM & MARY WENTZ
Dr. Richard and Susan Ashba Youngpeters
DR. RICHARD AND SUSAN ASHBA YOUNGPETERS
A Memorial was est. by the family of Dr. Louis & Roberta Black
A Memorial was established by Eula Doster Hirsch